Astrology matching is a wonderful hobby that can yield some surprising information about who you, your friends, and your family really are. In this vein, astrology is a great way to meet new people and impress your friends and family. As a divinatory method, astrology can also be used to determine trends that affect the present and future.
A study of astrology is truly never-ending, as there are countless levels you can continue to analyze as your expertise and knowledge grow. Just as there is no end to how deep you can go with your astrology hobby, there is also an unending stream of resources available to you. Whether you are an Internet search guru or you prefer the timeless feel of looking through books, there are outlets and resources out there that can help you learn more about your craft and learn to hone in on your astrology matching talents.
How does astrology work? That has yet to be figured out, but anyone who has studied astrology knows that it does work, making the “how’s” and “why’s” somewhat irrelevant, and serving to add to the mystique of the craft. Keep in mind that astrology is half art, half science. It is based on the unquestioned movements of the planets, but its interpretation is always open-ended. It has more to do with what you get out of it than with the actual text of the interpretation itself. Therefore, when pursuing your astrology hobby, it is very important to keep an open mind.
The History Of Astrology
People have been doing astrology matching for countless years. The earliest methods and practices of astrology can be traced back to Ancient Babylonia nearly five thousand years ago, when star-watchers divided the night sky into twelve distinct segments that correspond to the twelve star signs found in astrology today. These ancient astrologers noticed that certain stars seemed to consistently move through the sky. From there they determined that a star’s unique placement in the sky somehow corresponded with the cosmic order of events and energy flow.
These stars were, of course, the planets. The basic interpretations set forth in Babylonian astrology were ultimately refined and transformed through the years. Today we use the principles and foundations of astrology matching set in place by the Babylonians as a starting place for reading the stars. Their dedication to the craft gives us the tools needed to build on their knowledge and use it to learn even more about the universe around us.
Did You Know?
- Some of the most respected scientific minds in human history were practicing astrologers. Historic names such as Kepler, Jung, Galileo, Copernicus and Brahe were all significant contributors to astrology.
- Astrology has had a significant impact on modern language. Many different words that are commonly used today have a root in astrological thinking of the past. For instance, influenza comes from the Latin for influence and was so named due to the belief that many sicknesses are caused by the influence of planets and heavenly bodies in the sky. Maybe the best-known word origin from astrology is lunatic, from the root luna, meaning moon.
- The most famous astrologer is Nostradamus, who is said to have predicted events such as the Second World War, the assassination of the American President John F. Kennedy and, most recently, the attack on the World Trade Center.
- A third of Americans believe in astrology. Executives and professionals are the fastest-growing group of believers, according to a study by USA Today.
How Does Astrology Work? Getting Started
There are many different technical terms related to astrology, but these are the basic ones you should understand before getting started:
Birth chart – The map of the sky pertaining to when a person was born. Placements and relationships of the planets in the birth chart determine a person’s personality elements.
Ascendant (Rising Sign) – The sign that was on the eastern horizon at birth. The rising sign determines your personal horizon – what qualities you are growing toward and what your soul yearns to do and be.
Aspect – An aspect is a relationship between two planets in the birth chart. If planets are a multiple of 30 degrees apart, they are said to be in aspect to one another and influence one another in unique ways. The birth chart consists of 360 degrees, and there are individual 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 and 180-degree aspects, each of which indicates a different planetary relationship.
Sun Sign – This is “your sign.” It’s what people want to know when they ask, you”what’s your sign?” It determines your identity and conscious purpose in life.
House – Each birth chart is subdivided into twelve houses, starting from the Ascendant. The first six houses correspond to the planets in the bottom half of the birth chart, while the next six houses correspond to the planets at the top of the birth chart. Each house indicates a certain domain of your life, whether it’s personality, money, language, culture, or more.
Astrology Matching – Also known as “synastry,” astrology matching determines how compatible two people are based on the relationships between the planetary placements in their birth charts.
All you really need to get started with an astrology hobby is an Internet connection and a birth certificate. The easiest way is to sign up at an astrology website (most of which are free), such as www.astro.com, and enter in the information on your birth certificate. You will need this information to ensure an accurate astrology reading. Good old-fashioned research is the best way to get started with an astrology hobby.
A great author in this realm is Robert Hand, as his insights into the meanings of different signs, planets and houses are accessible and understandable to both beginners and experts alike. An astrology hobby is only as useful as you make it, so make sure that the books or information you choose to review speak to you, personally.
Many people also get started with an astrology hobby by visiting a professionally licensed astrologer for a reading. This often helps them get a grasp on the terminology and allows them to get a sense for the sort of information they can uncover from a study of their own and others’ charts. A professional can also address the question of how does astrology work. A standard hour-long astrology reading can cost anywhere from $50 to $100.
Astrology Matching – Getting Started
Before you start astrology matching, it’s best to start with yourself first. This will give you more insight into the craft before you start practicing with others. First, look up your free birth chart on an astrology website. For this step, www.astro.com is great because it includes basic information about what each placement and aspect means in easy-to-understand language.
See if the descriptions and words from your birth chart make sense to you. If they don’t make sense, look them up in your astrology books and see if you can gain more insights into your personality that way.
Keep in mind that a birth chart consists of more than just your sun sign. Just because you’re a Libra, a Sagittarius, a Gemini or any of the other signs doesn’t mean that’s the only sign that influences your life. This is a great way to begin getting familiar with the terminology and the signs themselves.
Locate online and print resources that speak to you and begin reviewing them. Be sure to start with resources that are written in easy-to-comprehend language and terms.
Go for your own astrology reading and learn from a pro.
Find family, friends, or even strangers to practice on. The more you hone your skills, the better you will become! After all, astrology matching is all about determining the compatibility of others based on their astrological patterns.
Tips And Tricks
The following tips and tricks can help you answer the question of how does astrology work as well as get more out of this fascinating hobby.
- Don’t be discouraged! There’s a lot of information in a birth chart and you can’t possibly expect to take it all in at once. Take several minutes each day to look at your birth chart and gather information without coming to any conclusions. Just mull over the information as you go about your day. Astrology is a life-long hobby, but when you begin you may feel as though you have to understand it all today. Don’t worry about that and focus instead on enjoying yourself and your newfound hobby.
- When you start this hobby, inevitably people will ask you, “How does astrology work?” This is the most annoying question to any astrology hobbyist. Just like any other hobby, astrology is about having fun. Don’t let skeptics get you down or discourage you; rather, engage them in an honest conversation about the mystery of astrology and how that makes it so engaging and interesting to explore.
- Take an astrology class. There are many opportunities available, be it online or at your local college. The easiest thing to do is to ask around in your area and see if anyone is offering any local classes on astrology. You could also try asking around at some of the local ‘metaphysical’ or ‘new age’ bookstores in your area to see if they offer any classes themselves.
- Attend an astrology conference. If you are new to astrology, conferences are be a great way to see some lectures and learn from the presentations. More knowledgeable astrologers can still gain a lot from conferences though, and it is a great way to re-connect with friends and acquaintances with whom you share an interest.
Growing Your Astrology Hobby
Once you feel comfortable with the astrology basics, it is time to take it to the next level. There is such depth to this craft that you will find yourself able to immerse deeper and deeper into it as you learn and grow. Here are a few ways to grow your astrology hobby:
- Once you feel comfortable with your birth chart, branch out and look at the charts of your friends and family. You can also look at synastry charts to see how you relate to other people. This is truly the art of astrology matching.
- There are a number of specialized charts including progressed charts, transit charts, and directed charts that help you track your personal development from birth to the present day. Read up on these methods once you’re familiar with the basic meanings of the twelve signs, twelve houses and nine planets.
- Consider taking your newfound skills on the road. Farmer’s markets or local art shows are a fun place to do this because they typically are low-key events that attract a lot of people who are interesting in seeing what you have to offer.
Related Astrology Resources
Check out the following online resources for more information on astrology as a hobby…
AstroResources.com – Products and related services to help you on your astrology-learning journey
Zodiacal – An advanced website providing information, resources, and even software to help you further your astrology knowledge
Astrology Week -Comprehensive astrology resource providing data, tools, instruction and an active community forum to help you interact with others who share your interest
Related YouTube Videos
Check out the following videos to learn even more about starting this hobby.